Let nothing disturb you, Let nothing frighten you, All things are passing away: God never changes. Patience obtains all things Whoever has God lacks nothing; God alone suffices. -- St. Teresa of Avila

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

How I met Teresa of Avila

-->
By Ma. Lourdes Ll. Galza, OCDS
I met Santa Teresa de Avila in the kitchen. Newly wed, I had to learn to cook; it was imperative.  Mom was a coloratura; her rendition of Ave Maria by Gounod could mend a broken heart.  When she played Rachmaninov’s concerto in C minor, the piano trembled and people wept.  But she could not cook.
My father took the situation in hand.  More Spanish than Ilocano, he missed virgin olive oil in his food and also wanted me to have the benefit of homespun wisdom on marriage and family life.  To address both concerns, he deposited me in the home of mom’s cousin, my Tia Amalia Lallave Perez of St. Teresa of Jesus of Avila, OCDS. We sautéed, braised, and steamed from that day on while she told  stories about Santa Teresa “La Grande”.            
Nada te turbe, pour in hot water gently,”  she couched when I panicked over the broth drying up in my pan. For Spanish type tinola (boiled meat dish with ginger, green papaya and pepper leaves), she placed chicken, whole white onions and big potatoes on crushed garlic and diced onion sautéed in olive oil over a low flame. No ginger.
“Prayer in my opinion is nothing else than an intimate sharing between friends,” Tia said matter-of-factly. “It means taking time frequently to be alone with Him who we know loves us.”   The rich aroma of olive oil wafted through the kitchen but as I reached for the cover of the pan to take a peak, she blocked me and placed the mortar I had used to crush the garlic, right on the cover to seal in the flavors.
It was a witty Teresa I met in the kitchen. A woman of grace who brooked no nonsense and could tell it like it is and still be politically correct. Teresa haggling over fresh vegetables was an eye -opener and for an Ilocana like me, pure vindication.
Tia’s story about the toad that Teresa saw in the parlor convinced me that even good activities can be the devil’s way of  distracting us from the crucified Christ. Four decades since, I have learned that Teresa felt that her efforts to be holy were inadequate. Her experience was similar to that of St. Paul who wrote: “I am no longer trying for perfection by my own efforts, the perfection that comes from the law, but I want only the perfection that comes through faith in Christ, and is from God and based on faith. I want to know Christ.” (Phil 3, 10).
I pray to learn three habits St. Teresa wanted: “The first of these is love for one another; the second is detachment from all created things; the third is true humility, which, even though I speak of it last, is the main practice and embraces all the others” (Way of Perfection 4, 4).
 Teresa wrote of a subtle self-love that does not allow one to understand what it is to want to please ourselves rather than God. Yet she acknowledged that the active works they were worried about “were all spent in the fulfilment of the duties of obedience and charity,” adding: “know that if it is in the kitchen, the Lord walks among the pots and pans, helping you both interiorly and exteriorly” (Found 5, 8).
Am really glad that the Lord, and Teresa, do walk among pots and pans!

Mga Tanong at Sagot: Sta. Teresa ng Avila

Tanong 1:   Ano itong nabalitaan ko na magse- celebrate daw sa Year 2015 ang mga Carmelites ng 500 th birthday si Santa Ter...